June 27, 2013

Picnics over Duvets

Remember when I started the Dino Picnic quilt I said I had another project in mind for my next project?

I temporarily forgot about that project.  I'm not sure when I will get back to it.  It requires a lot of attention and planning and improvising and I'm not sure I have that brain power.  I have also fallen into a trap of purchasing new fabric.  I have quite a stash building up and for some reason it seems easier to use these and create some HSTs than to create a pattern on my own with improvised materials.



I'm giving myself a pass on that 'other project' as it is for a duvet cover and while we do still have a duvet on the bed, courtesy of the great London summer, it is not the season for duvets.  It is the season for picnics.  Chilly, damp picnics, but picnics still.

That means that I need to actually try and get these quilts done at some point before picnic season disappears and it's time for duvets again.


Which brings me to the where of quilting.  I've pretty much decided I need to move out of the dining room since I don't have time to clean up after myself every time I get time to sew.  Our guest room is currently quite crowded but I think I might be able to find some space in there for my sewing station, at least until the next set of guests arrive.

In keeping with my tradition of re-using materials I have asked my 'clients' to provide a piece of clothing or what-have-you for their quilt and I would pick pieces from my growing stash based on their contribution. I can't wait to see what they give me to work with and hear its story.

The prospect of working with someone else's story is daunting but very appealing.  It is one of the reasons I started this blog (and hobby) and I can't wait to see how their story and mine work side by side. What will I learn from them or about myself?  How will my 'skills' develop with this quilt?  What will I carry on to the next?

It will be a longish journey, but I am excited to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment