April 29, 2013

Spring Quilt Market

Much like last fall, I was given the opportunity to participate in this spring's Quilt Market from afar.  I wish I was able to go--both because it's in Portland and because it's a non-stop fabric wonderland, but so is my sewing room, I suppose--but I don't sell or design fabric, and I'm not a big-time blogger.  Sigh!

Cloud9 contacted me to gauge interest in making a quilt with Lisa Congdon's new line, The Land That Never Was, shipping in August.  I really like Lisa Congdon's work as an artist, and I love working with Cloud9, so of course I said yes!

The quilt was large; last year I made two hanging/baby quilts for them, but this quilt was closer to a twin size.  I love the banner design--Michelle, creative director of Cloud9, designed it--and that the words were the choice for the banner "poles."  As a lettering freak, I loved the handwriting prints.



Because I have habits, I quilted it in the serpentine stitch again.  I just liked the flow more--it gave movement to the banners.  I did experiment with the stitch depth and length until I found something I liked.



I also bound this completed by machine, which turned out surprisingly well!  I stitched in the ditch on the front to catch the back binding.  Because this won't be used as a quilt, just as marketing, I didn't think the tiny details like that were as important as getting it done and back to New Jersey.


It's big!  Nick is holding it here and he's 6'1", and stretching his arms.  That's the most exercise he's had in a long time.

That's what I've been working on for the past week.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment