April 11, 2013

Dino Might

After finishing Pruin's quilt I was at a loss on what to do next.  I mentioned a while ago that I had become obsessed with Log Cabin quilts and patterns and that obsession might shape my next project.  However, I'm not sure whether to start that up since my midwife insisted I get my birthing pool THIS WEEK because WoW! that baby is snug down there in the pelvis. However, it is all guess work and I could be in this inflated state for another six days or another six weeks.  Baby comes when it comes.

While I contemplate the possible immediacy of Pruin, I went with a smaller one-day project.  I had been eyeballing these round-bottomed fabric bins from Film in the Fridge as the perfect solution to catch random Pruin stuff around the house. The little one isn't even here yet and there is already stuff everywhere.  On my trip to Liberty I bought some generic patterned fabric to use whenever and I still have that bag of remnants from my local upholstery shop.  While rummaging for options in the remnant bag I found a strip of dino fabric that just so happens to be the textile equivalent of the wallpaper in Pruin's room.  It seemed 'meant to be.'



Being that it was a remnant, the dino fabric isn't exactly the right size laid out in the tutorial, nor is it cut in a way that highlights the pattern.  Improvisation was the order of the day.

 

First improvisation was a rectangle shape.  Not the sturdiest of design choices as I later found out. 


As I worked through the process, I realized my inner and outer boxes were not the same size and attaching them in the manner presented in the tutorial was no longer an option.  
It was at this point I told Emily I was going rogue.  Strong words for a simple fabric bin construction, but I was throwing caution to the wind and forging a new path.  


'Going Rogue' turned into a relatively mild solution of some top-stitched binding around the top seam to match the bottom fabric.  


Once finished, it sat relatively nicely.  The construction seemed to hold up.  We had some dinner, spent two and a half hours assembling Pruin's pram and just before bed, I moved the box into Pruin's room.  


It seems to wilt a bit more each day.  The bottom isn't quite wide enough for the height of the sides.  It seems to have found it's equilibrium now and I'm sure once 'stuff' goes in, you'll hardly notice the slouchiness.  


It's not quilting, I know, but I did use my newly found binding prowess so I feel completely justified sharing this project with you here in this quilting space.  



Speaking of sharing in the quilting space...

We're still looking for some guest writers to cover a bit of maternity leave when Pruin does decide to arrive.  

Are you working on something and want to share?
Are you contemplating working on something and need to work through the 'should I, shouldn't I?'
Do you have a quilt story in you somewhere? 
A memory of skill or fabric being passed down?
A general fascination with pieced fabric?

Whatever it is, we want it.  We need it.  We would love to have you over.

Think it over and get in touch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment