January 28, 2013

Finished: Inside Out Quilt

My first quilt of 2013 is DONE!  As little use as I have for them, I love making baby quilts because they're small and sew up super easily.  The binding only takes a couple hours to complete and my wrists don't hurt nearly as much as they would with a throw-size quilt.  So, friends and family, keep having babies, because I have a stash to work through!

I wrapped the quilt up this morning and forgot to take pictures with anything besides my phone.  Sorry, world.


Isn't that awesome calligraphy?  I would love to say it's mine but that would be a huge lie.  I bought it on Etsy from Parrot Design Studio and thought it was perfect for a little girl.


Is there anything better than a crinkly quilt?  I don't think so.  This finished drying after I went to bed last night so I grabbed it as soon as I woke up this morning.  I love it!  I ended up binding with a print from Ellen Luckett-Baker's Moda line Quilt Blocks, which was released last spring.  I forgot I had it in my stash but the crosses in the print mimic the crosses in the quilt.  I was worried about how the backing and binding looked together but after staring at them for a long period of time I can say it's really grown on me.

I posted this to my Facebook wall and a girl I haven't spoken to since sixth grade contacted me about making one for her!  She's due with her second baby, a boy, next month and loved the style.  First of all, let's try not to focus on the fact that she's my age (younger, actually, because I was always the oldest in my class) (until I graduated, but that's another story for another blog) and having her second child.  Second, how great is that!  I love hearing that people like what I'm doing.  That sounds narcissistic, but in 2013, we put ourselves out there a lot, and it's hard to keep going if you aren't getting feedback.

I will say that I am having a hard time charging her for it.  This isn't my design; I used a pattern while making this.  So I told her if she'll buy the supplies--around $40 is what I spent--I'll do it and send it to her.  Is that weird?  I don't like the topic of money and would rather barter, but because I'm not in the market for a newborn, I'll just take what I can get: experience and maybe some fabric scraps to add to my stash.

What'd you sew this weekend?  Ariel and I had an awesome Skype session Saturday and we have some big plans for the blog!  I hope you'll be as excited as we are!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully it gets a lot of use once the baby is here!

      Delete
  2. your quilt is so beautiful! i just love the serpentine stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I do too. I found the specs for it on Camille Roskelley's blog and quilted it with my walking foot. So easy!

      Delete