November 5, 2012

My First Hand-Quilting Experience

Two weeks ago Ariel and I both mentioned hand-quilting, without any prior conversation.  This is why we have this blog: sometimes we share a brain over two continents.  Freaky.

While I was home due to Hurricane Sandy last week, I started my hand-quilting adventure.  Please note that I did this without following a tutorial or taking a class, so I'm sure what I'm doing is wrong.  Please also don't hold that against me.  I promise I try to follow the rules and am a nice person overall.


I sandwiched and basted the mini quilt as I would have done for machine quilting.  I also grabbed a large hoop (I think it was 12", but it may have been 16") and tried to get that set up.  Well, that took forever, and once it was secure in the hoop, I found that really got in my way more than anything.  Off that went.  Above, you can see the quilt squared up after stitching.



I used DMC embroidery floss, all six strands, for my quilting.  I didn't draw lines or use a ruler; I just kind of went with it while I sat on the couch.  The floss was a pain to get through the needle, so I need to buy beeswax before I ever attempt this again.

All four leaves, all four colors of floss


I backed the quilt with some Lotta Jansdotter I previously used for a blouse.  I love the outline of the leaves on the back.



Unfortunately, I had a smidge of backing that wasn't big enough after I squared up, and even after basting, you could see my batting.  I decided to stick one of my tags over it and call it a day.

I bound with some other Lotta Jansdotter I've used for a blouse.  I have realized I'm terrible at binding.  I don't know why, but I don't get it.  My corners aren't mitered, my ends are a mess, and the stitches aren't straight.  I'm someone who learns by doing, so I'm hoping once I get settled in Charlotte I can take a class somewhere.

Oh, that's right!  We're moving to Charlotte by the end of the month.  Nick and I are starting new jobs in the Queen City.  They do have a few fabric stores in the area, as well as a large Modern Quilt Guild (whom I've already contacted, woohoo!), so I'm excited to get involved in the movement down there.  Maybe someone can teach me binding then!

Have you hand-quilted?  I will say, I didn't hate the process.  I thought I would, because I hate hand-sewing, but I found it a bit meditative and fun.  It got a little clunky holding the quilt in some angles, but I think that's why more serious quilters have a standing hoop.  I won't rule it out in the future, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment