October 15, 2012

Simple Patchwork Progress

Hi!  How was your weekend?  I didn't even have a spare minute to sew, between running errands, baking, and traveling around the region.  It's really too bad, because I feel like my weekends are set-aside for projects, but oh well!

Friday evening I started a simple patchwork quilt.  I bought half-yard cuts of Madrona Road by Violet Craft when it was released, not really knowing what I'd do with it.  I made an Open-Wide bag from Noodlehead out of a couple prints, but besides that, they've been sitting there.  Lately I've noticed I have way too much fabric (but never the print I need...) and decided to work through it.  I grabbed Madrona Road, as well as some solids and a couple random prints and sliced them into 5" squares.

Originally I wanted to make a Plus quilt, but I decided that was too much for these prints: the values aren't drastically different, so it'd probably give you a headache before you figured out the plus signs.  I decided 5" squares sewn into 15 rows of 16 would be simple enough, yet I could still fussycut some of the prints and not have the detail lost in the size of the square.


I only have three of the rows sewn, and they aren't pressed yet, which explains why they look the way they do.  You can see Madrona Road, Flea Market Fancy, Chicopee, Half Moon Modern, Washi, Bella, Quilt Blocks--whatever I had laying around!


This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm actually wanting this to be a picnic quilt: something we can throw in the car and not worry about it getting dirty.  I'll probably end up quilting it with poly batting for this reason, because I won't need it for warmth--most likely.



This has been a great way to use up some of my scraps, because they were starting to take over!  Five-inch squares are a good size and use up a decent amount of fabric.  I'm also piecing these semi-randomly: I'm trying not to repeat the same print in a row, but besides that, I'm not following a pattern.  Once the rows are sewn I'll be a little more rigid in how I layout the rows, because I don't want the quilt to have patches of the same print.

I don't know when I'll get to work on this next, as I have another Cloud9 project (woohoo!) to work on this week, but hopefully soon!  I like simple projects sometimes, which allow me to sit at my sewing machine with some music and just go and go for hours without a whole lot of thought.  Some people unwind with exercise or alcohol, but I choose this!

Oh, I also wanted to show off a mini-quilt I sent my aunt with Chicopee scraps from my Pow Wow quilt.  She was expecting real scraps but I sewed them up first!  I also made one for us, which is sitting on the table we have in the front hall.


I'm so glad she liked it!!

What have you been working on?  Anything new?

No comments:

Post a Comment