October 26, 2012

Friday Round-up

Each Friday, one of us does a little round-up of stuff that has stuck in the brain this week.  Kind of like an ear-wig, but with stuff.  Ear-wigs are okay, too.  It's not always sewing related.


When I lived in the US, this was my favourite time of year.  It's not quite the same over here.  The seasons still change, but it is a lot darker and wetter.  Halloween isn't a big deal here.  I have yet to find a proper pumpkin patch and the amount of trick-or-treaters knocking on my door in the last six years doesn't hold a candle to the first half hour of trick-or-treat night back home.  It goes without saying that Thanksgiving is a non-entity.

This Friday I'm concentrating on Halloween...


Pumpkin whoopie pie

Let's start with some treats.  The Hummingbird Bakery is an American bakery in London.  I have their cookbook Cake Days and it's filled with everyday treats as well as seasonal specialties 
Last year I made the pumpkin cheesecake for our Halloween cocktail party.  There were no leftovers.


photo found here
With the current blogger trend of taking feet photos, I thought this particular quilt pattern appropriate.  It's also available as elf feet for Christmas.



photo by 42 quilts
I kind of love this block.  The 'flying geese' pattern is quite a popular and striking visual.  This is the first time I have seen it purposefully made wonky.  I love it.  The geese aren't always perfect so why should the block.  The tutorial is here.  The colours are autumnal and the geese are in the sky, the perfect block for the season.


Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment