September 10, 2012

The "Summer's Over" Quilt Top

Let me be clear, before I get into things: there is no love lost for summer ending here in DC.  I am a fall girl, always have been, so I am completely excited to have seen a red leaf today.  Bring it on!

I learned while making this quilt that I tend to attach too much meaning to my projects.  For example, I was discussing backing and binding with my mom Friday, and I actually said, "Well, the names 'Chicopee' and 'Pow Wow' remind me of summer camp, even though I never went, so I'd like something that captures that spirit."  Yeah, I want to slap me too.  I did purchase backing and binding--I'm using some Madrona Road, along with Chicopee--but only after I looked at nearly every fabric available at Hawthorne Threads.

I'm going to get into the pictures soon, but first, the details: I used six prints of Denyse Schmidt's new line Chicopee, as well as a blue coordinate that I've had in my stash for ages (it's really soft and a loose weave, so I'm thinking it must've been something my mom picked up at JoAnn's).  For the background, I chose FreeSpirit Solids in NuGray.  Manatee is the same charcoal color used in Chicopee, so I went a shade lighter for some contrast.  I really can't recommend FreeSpirit solids enough, either: this fabric is soft and didn't fray nearly as much as Kona does.

The pattern is Cluck Cluck Sew's "Pow Wow" in a throw size.  While I cut enough for a twin, I thought better of it before sewing it--that would be insane.  I don't even have a twin bed at my disposal.  If you make this quilt, be sure to follow the "scrap saver" tips and keep your HSTs!  I have so many left over for mini quilts!

We don't have any sponsors, so I'm not being paid, but I will mention that Hawthorne Threads, Pink Chalk Fabrics and Alewives Fabrics (three of my favorite online stores) have Chicopee in stock, and the Cluck Cluck Sew Big Cartel shop has this pattern and many more.

Pictures now!

Choosing fabrics

Cutting strips for the pieces.  I love this method.

Piles...

...and piles upon piles.  I tend to be a messy sewer, but I always clean up!

First step: done!  This is the bottom of each block.

Just half of the leftover half-square triangles.  I can't wait to piece these babies!

Blocks: done!  Also, an adorable cat on a vintage tablecloth.

And here we are!  There were people using my usual grassy spot, so I had to make do.

Ignore the bent sashing; I was trying to do this quickly.

Mistake one: there are visible selvedges throughout the quilt!

Mistake two: for some reason, with this print, the right-side top always came out sideways!  Very strange, especially because I followed directions.

Yay, it's done!  Like I said, the backing and binding are on their way to me, so soon I'll have a finished quilt!

What'd you sew this weekend?  Have any plans for a new project?

No comments:

Post a Comment