August 27, 2012

Christmas Stockings in August

Surprise, surprise--I've completed yet another Christmas project.  I promise my next patchwork undertaking won't have red, green, or Santa anywhere near it, because I realize just how insane I am.  To be fair, I was raised this way, and in South Carolina right now, my mom is quilting her Christmas stockings and planning her Christmas tree skirt, so obviously it's hereditary.

It's been a couple weeks since I've updated you on my Thimble Blossoms Merry stockings.  I seemed to make very little progress on them for various reasons, but most of all, it's the end of the fiscal year and I'm pretty much just exhausted every day.  The last thing I want to do is work more when I get home (even if that work is more play).  I want to make dinner and read magazines and watch TV.  Finally, last Friday, I decided to end this craziness and just finish everything.  Just do it, Emily!

This sounds completely ridiculous, but I really worried about Nick's stocking.  I make a lot of things for myself, and I know I can fudge it and still be happy.  No one else will notice!  But making something for Nick, who I never make anything for, really worried me.  Thankfully, he loved his stocking front when I pieced it earlier this month, and that was half the battle.



To quilt his, I followed the chevrons: each one is quilted right through the middle.  I did use a "hand-quilting" stitch on my machine, which used a lot more thread than I expected.  Also, it isn't shown, but both stockings are lined with a red Kona, a little darker than the red shown here (JoAnn's doesn't have the best selection).


I also didn't want to fully quilt the backs of each stocking, so for Nick's, I just freehanded a few snowflakes here and there--just enough to keep the stocking back and lining attached.


I made myself the pinwheel variation, and I have to say, I'm not totally in love with it!  I think it's really busy, which is totally my fault.  However, I am still proud of myself for trying it, and I'll still use it at Christmas.


I quilted mine using the lines of the pinwheels: I did two straight lines on either side of the diagonals.  Simple.


To quilt the back, I went a little crazy and outlined a few Santas freehand.  It's subtle, which is fine.


My last steps may be to embroider our initials--I still haven't decided on that.  What do you think?

Also, I wanted to show you a picture of my sewing area:


I've been using my mom's Husqvarna Designer I since May, but she's decided she wants it back, so I've packed it up and am taking it with us when we leave for South Carolina Thursday.  (Don't worry--I'll still have a post for you Monday!)  My poor little table feels so empty, even with everything on it!  I share this space with my dining room table and fabric/cookbook storage, which is why everything looks crammed in--it is.  But it's mine, and until I have an actual sewing area, it will work!

How was your weekend?  Anyone else working on Christmas stockings, tree skirts, or presents?

No comments:

Post a Comment