August 20, 2012

Book Review: Denyse Schmidt, Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration

I don't have a whole lot of progress to update on, so I thought, for a change of pace, I'd post a book review!

I love Denyse Schmidt and have for many years.  I'm attending her lecture next month in Manhattan and buy her lines as soon as they're released.  Recently, I also picked up her newest book, Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration.  This book contains patterns and instructions as well as background on these pieces.  While they're technically traditional styles, Denyse (we're on a first-name basis) has used modern colors and techniques to make them wholly new.

Let's take a look!  But first: I apologize for the photo quality.  Rainy days kill any sort of natural lighting.



The orange peel quilt is featured early in her book.  Using crimson and tangerine, two colors not normally seen together, this quilt has a lot of movement and warmth, seen on the pattern page:


I don't think I'm anywhere near being ready to make an orange peel quilt, but maybe by this time next year I'll be able to.


I love, love, love star quilts.  A red-and-white star quilt is my absolute favorite.  So this Crazy Star, with a mish-mash of coordinating fabrics on a solid background, really speaks to me.  


There are so many possibilities!  I'd love various reds on a light blue background.


Flying Geese, which are another favorite of mine, have a different layout in Ocean Waves.  I bought Denyse's pattern "Point Me," which also features geese, in the spring, and love the new ways she arranges them.




Imagine the possibilities with Courthouse Steps!  Denyse uses three colors here, but two colors, a color and a pattern, or scraps would all create different effects.



Wagon Wheel is, hands down, my favorite quilt in this book.  I love the chartreuse!  Again, curves are probably beyond my capabilities right now, but soon enough...



This Snake quilt reminds me of Denyse's "Single Girl," deconstructed.  The colors are similar, the curves are present, but instead of single rings, there's a steady movement from corner to corner.



There's a Mariner's Compass quilt hanging in the store where my Modern Quilt Guild meetings are held, and it's always used as the prime example of what modern quilts aren't: the precision, the batiks, the size are all too rigid and old-fashioned for most modern quilters.  But My Compass, Denyse's version of a Mariner's Compass, is breathtaking and modern in a primitive way.  

A lot of these quilts remind me of Civil War-era or Amish quilts: the roots of quilting are present, but solids and scraps are used to create a unique version.  Simply put, I believe Denyse Schmidt is a genius and her interpretations of these traditional values add depth to the modern quilt world, especially when many quilters believe we just do improv blocks and only use white.  This book is chock full of inspiration and gorgeous photos.  Take a look through it yourself!

For 2012, on my blog Lemony Fresh, I made a resolution to create over thirty apparel items throughout the year.  Next year I might shift my focus to quilting, and quilt my way through this book, not necessarily in order.  Kind of a Julie & Julia (looking at you, Ariel!), but I imagine my version of Julie's eggs will be applique.  What do you think?

What have you used as inspiration lately?  Are there any books you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment